Thursday, June 01, 2006

Viva Triumph

I did it!!! I faced my fears head on and emerged triumphant. When I woke up in the morning and started to get ready for the challenge that loomed ahead. I was surprisingly calm. I even managed to sip my coffee slowly and enjoy it.

When I actually arrived at the Postgraduate institute I waited in the viva lounge for the challenge to begin. Two of my friends were there with me to provide moral support. As per usual when facing public speaking of any sort i was already sweating profusely in an air-conditioned room.

Soon they called me into the viva room and I was introduced to the chairperson. She asked me to provide a brief summary of my research. I breathed in deeply and began....... my voice was quivering but I managed to finish my summary in a short while.

Then the ego boosting journey began. They were impressed with my thesis. As soon as I finished, the external examiner's representative (the external examiner usually doesn't come for the viva, so a representative is there in his place) began by saying
"First of all, i would like to say congratulations. You have produced a very well written thesis".

When I heard him say that I felt like jumping up and down and shouting for joy. Because that's what I'd imagined and hoped with all my heart that the examiners would say about my thesis. But of course i couldn't do what i felt like doing i.e, jumping up and down ..... so i settled for a smile and a very polite "Thank you".

The ego boost continued when my internal thesis examiner said "Yes, i would also like to congratulate you. Your thesis is very well written".

When I heard what he said, I was so happy that I totally forgot that i was nervous and answered the questions they asked with ease. The questions they asked were more on my opinions rather than critiques of my work.

All in all, I'm proud of myself and what I accomplished today. When i excited the viva room I had this intense feeling that I can't quite put to words. After that experience I feel like I can do anything....... that I can accomplish anything. It's a great feeling. I love it.

All I have to do now is submit my final hard-cover binded thesis plus a few minor corrections and I'm on my way to my next endevour.... my PhD.

Oh, one more thing....... there's my convocation to look forward to in August. Yeaaaaaa!!!! I can't believe that I've made it.

3 Comments:

At 3/6/06 12:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yo Goat Girl;

A BIG Congratulations !!!

Nice to see you're back at the blog as well. Give us a visit at my latest effort .
ttfn,
rj

 
At 3/6/06 11:47 pm, Blogger Kancilzilla said...

Thanks. Yup, the goat girl is back. It's good to be back at blogging again. The last time i read your travel blog you went to Greece. Have u been anywhere interesting lately?

 
At 4/6/06 11:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not lately. Last trip was Florida at Christmas. Had a mild winter. Did you see the Greece pictures?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home